Howdy everyone… As a prize for winning the Halloween costume contest a bunch of us got the opportunity to snowmobile to Cape Evans. This is where Robert Falcon Scott’s Terra Nova hut was built for his failed expedition to be the first to the South Pole. The hut was completed in 1911 and was also used by Shackleton during his failed attempt to be the first to traverse across Antarctica. The history and stories of this hut are truly amazing. The courage, and strength of the men that stayed here is like no other on earth. They had to endure unbelievable hardships. To learn more about some of these men I suggest that you read the book “Shackleton’s Forgotten Men”. Just stepping foot in this hut you could feel the history and stories seep into you. The hut is preserved and maintained by the Antarctic Heritage Trust. They try to ensure that the artifacts are in the places that they were found. To walk around inside is like going back in time. There is no glass to separate you from the artifacts, just time itself. I feel so very lucky to experience it first hand and have really enjoyed reading books about these determined and hearty souls. Because this place has so much history, and I took over 250 pictures, I will post several entries dedicated to it. Enjoy the pictures and descriptions. Please know that I would love to tell you all more about this place in person (along with many pictures) when I get back to the states.
Here are some pictures of icebergs stuck in Ross Sea ice. They were truly amazing to see and much more impressive than the pictures show. Only about 10% of the iceberg is visible so the other 90% is underwater. These icebergs were likely grounded deep underwater and then frozen in the annual Ross Sea Ice.
The last picture is of R. F. Scott’s hut at Cape Evans, Antarctica. This was built as his home base during his South Pole Expedition over 100 years ago. He and his men died on their return from the pole. They nearly made it to a food depot stashed in the ice.